Install Android 9 Pie Official Update for CDMA Sprint Galaxy S8 Active
In this post you can find the instructions on how to manually install the new official Android 9 Pie for the Sprint Galaxy S8 Active. The new update is rolling out over-the-air, too, and this guide is destined to be used by advanced users.
The CDMA Galaxy S8 Active on Sprint was launched in August 2017 with the Android 7.0 Nougat firmware. Now, more than two years after the smartphone’s release you can upgrade it to the latest Android 9 Pie OS. Note that the update is being released over-the-air for all Sprint users.
The Android 9 Pie official update comes with the One UI 1.1 for the first time on the Galaxy S8 Active devices. If you closely follow all the steps below you can manually complete the new Android 9.0 Pie firmware for your phone.
If you do not want to install the new Pie OS firmware update manually, then you should wait for Sprint to send the OTA update notification your way. You can also look for new firmware updates by going to Settings> Software Update menu and using it to look for new official updates. If you need more help completing the installation you can use the comments field at the end of the post.
How to Install Android 9 Pie Official Update for CDMA Sprint Galaxy S8 Active:
Make sure to read the whole guide below and that you won’t be skipping any of the instructions we posted. Note that the guide has to be used by advanced users only, as we cannot be blamed if you brick the phone nor in case you lose any important data files in the process. Here’s how to complete the installation:
- Download the Samsung USB Drivers from here.
- Install these drivers on your computer, as otherwise you cannot connect the Galaxy S8 Active Sprint to your computer.
- Download Android 9 update archive file for Galaxy S8 Active Sprint model from here.
- Extract the Android 9 Pie archive files and save them on your computer.
- Download Odin 3.13.3 zip from here. Unzip the contents on your PC.
- Power off your phone when you’re ready to begin the installation process.
- Now you can enter Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down + Power + Bixby buttons at the same time.
Release the buttons when the screen of your phone turns blue, then press Volume Up to confirm Download Mode boot.
- Launch the Odin exe on your PC.
- Connect the Galaxy S8 Active Sprint phone to computer via usb cable. Wait for the ODIN app to detect the phone and then continue to the next part of this post.
- Now you need to start loading all the Android 9 Pie G892USQU5CSH1 tar.md5 files into ODIN. These files are the ones you have extracted at step 4.
Click AP and load the AP_G892USQU5CSH1 tar.md5 file into ODIN.
Click BL and load the BL_G892USQU5CSH1 tar.md5 file in ODIN.
Click CP and load the corresponding CP_G892USQU5CSH1 tar.md5 file.
- Next, click the CSC button and load the file with HOME_CSC_G892USQU5CSH1 in its name. Do not use the file that only has the “CSC” term in its title without “HOME”. The file that only has CSC in the title will wipe the entire phone completely of all data files.
- Press the START button in ODIN and wait for the Galaxy S8 Active to be updated with the latest Android 9 Pie firmware.
When the installation is done you will notice the PASS alert shown in ODIN, and you can reboot your phone in normal mode. If you need more help completing this guide, then you should tell us in comments below.